Parents and students are encouraged to avoid making appointments during class time. Students who miss class regularly will be moved into a lower class level in order to maintain the integrity of each class’s curriculum. Parents must notify the Academy if their child is going to be absent. Students are encouraged to make-up all missed classes as quickly as possible.
Girls Dress Code
- Pre-Ballet and Class I-V: footed pink tights, pink ballet slippers, and leotards of any style in the color assigned to each class level [See Class Descriptions for leotard color.]
- At the teachers’ discretion, girls will be permitted to wear ballet skirts during center work.
- Creative Movement: any color leotard, tights, and pink ballet slippers.
- Character: black circular skirt and black character shoes.
- Hair: The discipline of dance requires that long hair for girls in all levels be secured in a bun or pinned up in braids. This permits the teacher to see the correct alignment of the spine and neck. Loose hair can cause eye irritation during turns and is a distraction to both student and teacher. Girls will not be allowed to take class with their hair down or in loose ponytails.
- Students are never permitted to wear loose-fitting shirts or plastic pants. The use of plastic pants can lead to dehydration and muscles which are artificially warmed up are easily injured. Baggy clothing does not permit the instructor to properly correct the student and can cause serious problems to go undetected. With teacher permission, students may wear tight-fitting wool warm-ups, which have been designed for the serious dancer.
- All students are required to wear street clothing over their ballet clothes when entering or leaving the studio.
Boys Dress Code
- Class I-V: plain tight-fitting t-shirt or leotard, tights or biketards, dance belt, socks, and white or black ballet slippers.
- Ballet Fundamentals, Pre-Ballet, Boys Club, and Creative Movement: wear shorts, shirts, socks, and ballet slippers.
- Character: jazz shoes
- Hair: The discipline of dance requires that long hair for boys in all levels be secured away from the face and neck. This permits the teacher to see the correct alignment of the spine and neck. Loose hair can cause eye irritation during turns and is a distraction to both student and teacher. Boys with long hair will not be allowed to take class with their hair down.